Publication author: Dr. Antje Herrberg with Canan Gündüz and Laura Davis
Download the report
‘Engaging the EU in Mediation and Dialogue,’ authored by Antje Herrberg with Canan Gündüz and Laura Davis, is a synthesis of findings on the EU’s role in international peace mediation that have emerged from the Initiative for Peacebuilding’s work on the subject in the course of 2008.
The paper argues for a need for more systematized learning in order for the EU to upgrade its capabilities in the field of international peace mediation. Strengthening international peace mediation as an EU CFSP instrument calls for:
- Operationalisation of a multi-track approach;
- Inclusion of human rights and transitional justice;
- Enhanced capacity to evaluate the EU’s peace mediation experience and its impacts;
- Promotion of further mediation research; and
- Professionalisation and systematisation of mediation in EU foreign policy.