The objectives were to:
- Explore different dimensions of transitional justice and how they can effectively be dealt with in third-party support to peace processes
- Share concrete cases of transitional justice support in peace processes, from Northern Ireland and elsewhere
- Concretise options for enhancing EU support in this area.
The fourth meeting in this series was informed by inputs from a number of international experts in this field:
- Dr. David Bloomfield, former CEO of the Glencree Centre in Ireland and former Director of the Berghof Conflict Research Centre – who presented the case for broadening the concept of Transitional Justice to encompass backward as well as forward-looking issues
- Brendan McAllister, former Victims Commissioner, and former Director of Mediation Northern Ireland – who shared his experience of dealing with mediation and transitional justice issues, with a focus on victims
- Dr. Luis Peral, Research Fellow, EU Institute for Strategic Studies (EUISS) – who shared his experience of helping to address transitional justice issues during the Colombian reintegration process with paramilitary groups.
The discussions were informed by a background paper by David Bloomfield; and they led to the formulation of a number of questions regarding transitional justice for the EU. A short summary of the discussions is available for download on the right.