In January 2014, mediatEUr was invited by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of the Government of Finland to identify lessons learned from the Kyrgyzstan Inquiry Commission of 2011 on good practice in the conduct of independent, third-party inquiries into societal conflict. As the first and only inquiry ever to be permitted by a state in Central Asia, the experience of the KIC remains significant for the international community.
During the event, participants discussed the contribution of the KIC to reconciliation in Kyrgyzstan, as well as its defining characteristics, successes and challenges. The panel was formed by:
- Dr Kimmo Kiljunnen, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, Former Head of the KIC
- Judge Brigitte Horbette, Former Member of the KIC
- Ms Meeri-Maria Jaarva, Crisis Management Initiative
- Mr Brendan McAllister, mediatEUr Senior Associate
- Mr Ermek Turgunaliev, Embassy of the Kyrgyz Republic to Belgium and Permanent Mission to the EU
A Q&A session moderated by mediatEUr’s Board Member Dr Dietmar Reich followed the panel.