About this issue
In this paper, based on his experience as a mediator in Northern Ireland, Brendan McAllister:
- Explores the links between local and international actors
- Shares his experience as an insider mediator
- Outlines the phases of mediation development in Northern Ireland
- Analyses the benefits he drew from being personally exposed to international experience
- Lists the tasks of an international mediator
This paper was originally prepared for a seminar on “Mediation in the Mediterranean: Developing Capacities and Synergies”, convened by the ‘Spanish-Moroccan Initiative on Mediation in the Mediterranean’ and the Toledo International Centre for Peace on 11-12 February.